I started this project on Sunday, Oct. 7th. I finished the back on Sunday and crocheted the front on Monday and on Tuesday finished the sleeves. On Wednesday, I sewed all the pieces together then on Thursday, I crocheted the collar. I spent yesturday and today on sewing the collar on so the "edges" wouldn't show too much! I think that was the hardest part for me! I ended up using needle & thread in the end. I also had to adjust the length of the collar twice, it just wasn't long enough to go around the whole coat!
I knew I wanted my next project done using Bernat Softee Chunkee Yarn (weight 5). I had a bunch of this yarn in my stash from when I had frogged a previous project. I searched the net and books but couldn't find anything that used this yarn weight. I had seen the "whiter shade of pale car coat" from the Lion Brand catalog and I liked this coat. Pattern here: http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/70004A.html. They used Wool Ease Thick and Quick Yarn in a size 6 weight. I figure I would try it anyways using the yarn I had. I had the schematics so I figure I could crochet it to the size indicated and if I didn't like it or if it wasn't working out, I would just frog the project.
I used a size "K" hook and I wanted to make a size small. I had to make some changes to make up for the difference in yarn size. I followed the size for medium and added 4 more rows for the back to equal 18" total for the length. For the top half of the back, I added 2 more rows to get it to equal 8 1/2". For the front, I made the same adjustment. The sleeve was a little more work because I wanted it to look right when I added the extra rows. Rows 1-5, per directions then I repeated row 5 again. Next, the directions said for rows 6-13, repeat the last 4 rows, for 3 sets. At the end of each set, I repeated row 5 again. That gave me the extra length I needed. Total of 18 inches. I thought I needed to make the sleeves longer but it ended up being too long so I frogged the extra rows. Finally, I crocheted the edging and collar and sewed the collar on!
This was an "easy" pattern. I thought it worked up really fast! I used 5 -6 balls of The Bernat yarn in Medium Sea Green. I didn't like the collar as much, maybe because I had to sew it in. To me, I can see the seams :( Next time, I may leave the collar out and do a different edging around it.
I really do like this coat. It's not too heavy which means I'll be able to wear it during our mild winters! I'm really happy that I could make this coat work with the yarn I wanted to use!
Thanks for reading the details of my project! Now here's a few photos: :D :D :D