Marathon 26.2



AUTISM AWARENESS















Saturday, June 4, 2011

Road Race Report

Last night I ran in a road race, the first one in a very long time. It seems that around every April, I get interested in running again. It's probably because of the Freihofer's Run for Women. It's a big race that held annually in Albany, New York. The race is actually today. I've ran in this race several times, starting in my early 20's. Unfortunately this year, I wasn't able to make the race so instead I opted for a more locally run race, hence yesterday's race. I knew that I wouldn't be able to make a race today (lack of baby sitter) so a Friday race seemed like a good solution.



Surprising, I wasn't really that nervous....not until an hour before the race. I left at 6pm and arrived around 6:40, giving me enough time to pick up my packet and get to the starting line at 7pm. It was a good turnout, maybe 200 runners. (I'm still waiting for the race result to be posted to get an exact count).



It was a really hot evening. Even at 7pm, it was still in the 90s. High temps for Friday was around 100 degrees. As I was running, I was thinking to myself why did I do an evening race? It was so hot! I imagine, a lot of the other runners were thinking the same thing!



I had a few goals. The foremost, is to finish the race. Finish at a respectable time and I hope to place 1st in my age group. Okay, I had really high expectations for someone who just started running in late April and I've only been running 2 miles instead of the 3.1 miles. I figure my chances of placing (for my age group) was a lot higher in a smaller group of runners.



I finished the race! I ran the whole 5K. As tempting as it was to stop and walk for a few seconds, I opted not to. I knew that if I had stop at all to walk, I would NOT want to start running again. After a long hiatus from running in a race, I've ran in my first race in quite a few years. I think the last race I ran in was the Freihofer's Run for Women 3 years ago?



I'm happy to say that I placed 2nd in my age group! Here is my plaque:







No live shots with me getting my plaque :(





Today, I'm going back to enjoy the Festival with my daughter!

No comments: