Marathon 26.2



AUTISM AWARENESS















Sunday, May 24, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend Race

My Mother-in-law has the racing bug!  We did our first race together last summer, the Chick-fil-a 5k, then the Diva race.  This year, we started out doing the 5k 4H last week and yesterday, we did the Mel T. Ingram Memorial 5k race.  I remember wanting to do this race last year but I was a bit concerned about the hilly course.  For some reason, I did not run it then.

The race was to start at 8am.  Since this is the closet race yet, we left the house around 7:30.  There were ample parking and we quickly got our race packet.  While standing in line to pick up my race packet, I spoke to the race organizer,  she was super nice and friendly.  The race packet had lots of goodies that included a shirt, coupon for chick-fil-a, a week pass to the fitness center, flag, stickers, poster, hand sanitizer, cookies and candy.  This was probably one of the nicest race packet I received.  So many of the local races give out only t-shirt and race numbers.

At 8:00, the race started.  We started towards the back and off we went.  There were several hills on this course with lots of turns but it was super organized with volunteers to guide you at every turn.  The first hill came pretty quickly.  I was glad to be done with it, then another hill.  At mile 3 came the last hill toward the finish line.  I could hear people cheering enthusiastically for the finishers.  I was glad to cross the finish line.  I cooled down and waited for my MIL to finish.  She did great.  Her time was 1 minute longer than last week's race but considering the hills she did awesome.  I was so proud of her.  She won her age group and I won the first female masters (mastes=over 40 yo).  Another first for me.  I was very excited!  Great metals, plaque and goodies for winners.

The race organizers made this a very friendly, fun and supportive event.  It was super organized with plenty of volunteers so there were no confusion about the course.  Classic race series did the race timing and placement.  Walgreens even had a booth giving away lots of goodies!  It was such a great race experience overall.  I look forward to doing this race again next year!

Photo of me getting my award and a big hug from the race organizer.







My plaque:




No comments: