This was not what I started out making . I was looking for a crochet or a knitting project to use my new yarn that I had purchased but ended up using something else all together. The few patterns I tried, I just couldn't get it to work. Wrong gauge, way too big, etc...so I searched through my books/pattern for some ideas. I decided on the cupcake top. The pattern is from the book, Happy Hooker - Stitch n' Bitch. I used just over 1 skein of the Bernat Softee Baby Yarn in pink.
The recommended hook was "I" but I only used that size for the shells for the trim. For the top, I crocheted it using a size "K" hook. At times the stitches look a bit sloppy due to the large hook.
I also had trouble with getting the right gauge on this top but with the K hook, I felt comfortable with the starting chain length and thought it would fit. I think it's a bit tight for my liking but I still like this top a lot. I worked on it quite a bit these last few days because I wanted to finish this quickly. I want to start on my next project, the Orchid top by Lily Go. I have been admiring her work and I finally decided to buy the pattern. It was pretty inexpensive comparing to some of the prices of patterns out there. I hope all goes well on that top.
Here's a photo of my cupcake top: