Marathon 26.2



AUTISM AWARENESS















Thursday, August 9, 2007

Empress Baby Doll Top (w/ Modifications)


This is such an exciting week for me. My darling daughter's birthday is 2 days away! She'll be 2 years old. It's been the GREATEST 2 years of my life. She's the light of my life and I'm so
greatful for her.


CROCHET TALK :D


I've order a bunch of old crochet magazines and also the spring issue of Crochet Today. I've been checking the mail everyday to see if they came in! I can't wait to get my hands on them.

The top that I made is from the Spring Issue of the Interweave Magazine. You can check out the photo here: www.interweavecrochet.com/2007/spring/materials_list.asp#empress

To the right is my version of the Top. Somewhat different. I purchased the yarn from Hobby Lobby last month, as a reward to myself after finishing the Lacy Days of Summer Top.
On July 29, I started the top using a size D hook. After 3 days of work, on row 17 - I was at a cross road. I was making a size medium and it was coming out too big. I didn't want to undo it all but my husband knew I wouldn't be happy if I tried to fix it. A voice of reason! So on August 1, I restarted the project. (My goal was to finish this top before the 12th). I decided this time to use a size F hook and check the schematics so the top is the right size. I was much happier using the size F hook but it changed the gauge completely because of the thicker yarn.


The upper part of the top was no problem. I overlapped 7 shells. To be honest, I was afraid that it was going to be too small because instead of being 16 inches across, I made it about 14 1/2 but I figure it would stretch a bit.

The lower half was a little more work. I experimented with different hooks. The very 1st rings, I used a size D hook then changed to a size F hook for the first pattern set. After that I changed to a size G Hook after the 1st row of the 2nd set of pattern. I didn't do a 3rd set of the pattern, but did another row 2 -4 . On row 2, I kept the same G Hook then changed to a size 7 hook for the remaining rows. To finish, I crocheted 6 sc in each ch 5. The top is not real wide at the bottom, it's a bit more form fitting for me. To finish, I crocheted 6 sc in each ch 5 space.

I wasn't sure if I would like the lower half of the Top because mine had so many holes! I didn't want it to be too revealing! I tried it on and wore it with a skirt. It didn't show too much "skin" as I thought so I am happier.

My husband said I'm too hard on myself because I'm so critical of myself. I do like the top and I'm glad it's finish. Overall, this was a good pattern. I had less trouble with this pattern than my previous top(s). Maybe I'm getting better at crocheting! I did enjoy making this top and best of all, goal accomplished and I have a top I'm proud to wear! :D

No comments: